Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Poety Pick: Neon Aliens Ate My Homework and Other Poems

Neon Aliens Ate My Homework and Other Poems
by Nick Cannon
Scholastic
Poems by Nick Cannon
Illustrations by Nick Cannon et al
144 pages
ISBN: 9780545722810


Entertainer Nick Cannon perhaps best known for his gigs as host on "America's Got Talent" and as ex-husband to singer diva superstar Mariah Carey now has a new box to check off his resume: YA poet and author. Cannon celebrates rhyme and street art with 65 of his own poems He has contributed four illustrations and celebrates the art of six street artists who illustrate the other poems.

In "Graffiti Dreams" Cannon shows true appreciation for spray paint artists. He writes, "I spray my heart away/I breathe graffiti and dream of a new day." In a beautiful tribute to Shel Silverstein, Cannon writes, "If you want to meet him, just open a book/Turn on the light in the attic and take a look./ Where the sidewalk ends, you'll find a giving tree./ Thank you,  Shel, for all you've given me."
We can all relate to that. Shel Silverstein has inspired, influenced and entertained many decades of children and his poems  will continue to do so.

Cannon shows true talent for silliness, too. Funny poems "Halitosis" and "Brushing My Tiger's Teeth" show imagination and quirkiness. One of the oldest jokes in the world is the dog ate my homework, but Cannon claims "Neon Aliens Ate My Homework" and they show a true penchant for algebra worksheets. Who knew?

Highly, highly recommended for all poetry collections. We already know Cannon could rap, so of course he can rhyme. Every time, on a dime....

FTC Required Disclaimer: I received the F & G from the publisher. I did not receive monetary compensation for this review.


This review has been posted in compliance with the FTC requirements set forth in the Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising (available at ftc.gov/os/2009/10/091005revisedendorsementguides.pdf)

No comments:

Post a Comment