Powered By Blogger

Monday, September 30, 2013

Early Reader Pick: Hiding Phil

Hiding Phil
by Eric Barclay
Illustrated by the author
Scholastic Press
2013
32 pages

Eric Barclay has illustrated four books; this is his first as author and illustrator and he knocks it out of the park!

Three children and their dog find a loveable blue elephant at a bus stop. They ask him to play with them and take him home. Phil and the children jump rope, play on the see-saw, and the kids give Phil a bubble bath in their baby pool (it's a large baby pool, indeed).

It suddenly dawns on the kids--maybe Mom and Dad won't be so happy to see their new LARGE playmate. They try to hide Phil but find out the hard way that it's difficult to hide an elephant. Mom and Dad find Phil and take him back to the bus stop but then give Phil a second chance.

Hiding Phil is cute, clever, and contagious. Young kids will love Phil and the kids' attempts at hiding him. The captivating artwork brings Phil to life and the expressions on the kids' faces tell the story. Even the small dog is perfect on every page.

Highly, highly recommended ages 3-5 and older. This is the perfect bedtime story and one sure to make little ones giggle (okay, and parents, too).

FTC Required Disclaimer: I received the F & G from the publisher. I did not receive monetary compensation for this review.

This review has been posted in compliance with the FTC requirements set forth in the Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising (available at ftc.gov/os/2009/10/091005revisedendorsementguides.pdf)

3 comments:

  1. My young friends would love this!! It seems Phil is involved in an adventure, and my kids love adventures!

    Sharon
    Mansfield, TX
    SHARONDRESSEl@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. My students would really enjoy this one. Pick me! Pick me!

    Chrissy
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    postema@aaps.k12.mi.us

    ReplyDelete
  3. My kids and I are pretty critical when it comes to kids' books. Hiding Phil is a definite 'keeper.' Eric Barclay's refreshing illustration style, inspired storyline and subtle touches make this a thoroughly enjoyable bedtime read. Reminds me of favorite books from my own childhood.

    Mica
    Visit my site for Zespri Golden kiwi fruit information

    ReplyDelete