Powered By Blogger

Friday, October 29, 2021

Beautiful, Poetic Voice Pick: Aristotle and Dante Dive into the Waters of the World

Aristotle and Dante Dive Into the Waters of the World

by Benjamin Aliré Saenz 

Simon & Schuster  

2021

528 pages

ISBN: 9781534496194


Benjamin Aliré Saenz's prose sings off the pages and cannot be compred to any other writer, YA or not. In Aristotle and Dante Dive Into the Waters of the World, Aristotle and Dante are in their senior years of high school. Set in a border town (El Paso?) in the 1980s, both boys are closeted but accepted with love and acceptance from their families. We don't see this in YA much, and it's beautiful to behold. 

Themes of love, joy, sorrow, friendship, belonging, self-acceptance, desire, growth, family and coming out as gay in an era that was rife with AIDS and people were afraid they might "catch something" from touching or knowing a gay person.

This Amazon reviewer from Canada says:

"For me, parts of the story brought back sad memories of AIDS and the early days, and I try not to think about that time. Like the author, I lost my brother to the condition, and I thought, "It could happen to me." I was closeted then much because of the time, much because I couldn't defend myself, and because I was scared. I watched a lot of young men who died while visiting my brother in his hospital stays, many young men with promising, creative, and rewarding lives.

I always knew I was gay, although I didn't always know what it was or what the word was to describe myself. At first, all I knew I was that I was different and I didn't fit in. But it wasn't just because I was gay - I am disabled too.,,,

I am a lot like Ari in that I am always "in my head." In contrast, my Doug reminds me of Dante a lot. Yes, the characters remind me of us, except we are much older than the two young men depicted in this story.

It's nice to see a lovely story about two men falling in love. When I grew up, gay stories carried a lot of strife, struggle, and usually ended in death. "

What a tribute to Saenz's gentle story that has touched so many young men (and women) who are afraid to "come out" to their parents, family and friends. Although much more understood and accepted today, as a career educator myself, I have had discussions with many kids about how they can tell their parents. 

Saenz pays tribute to all who teach and impact teens which is a love letter to teaching and I, for one, applaud this at the highest level. 

If you enjoyed Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe, you MUST READ this book! If you haven't discovered Saenz and his characters, you need to purchase both books. If you don't cry, you may need to have your tear ducts examined. 

The BEST YA OF THE YEAR! If this one doesn't win every single award, I'd be shocked. I have had the extreme honor and privilege of meeting Benjamin Aliré Saenz several times, and he is the most patient, gentle, understanding, understated, and humble humanitarian I've ever met. Bravo, Mr. Saenz! Thank you for such a joyous opus! This is truly the HIGHLIGHT of your writing career. 

So highly recommended I give it every star in the universe! 

Grade 8 and up. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment